Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday food for thought

I'm headed out of town for a friend's wedding and thought I'd leave some interesting links I've recently found that discuss important issues, especially ones pertaining to the theme of this blog, mixed race America. So here's Friday's food for thought links:

*What Tami Said -- Tami breaks down not just the idiocy of the birther phenom but why it has even had any kind of media life at all (please, will the mother ship come take Orly Taitz away NOW!)

*Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Continuing with the birther phenom, Ta-Nehisi Coates looks at the racism behind the conspiracy theory [tip of the hat to Poplicks]

*Stuff White People Do -- Great piece about "microaggressions" that many people of color experience, esp. when we are being mistaken for the Chinese food delivery person [and while I haven't had this particular mis-recognition occur, I am often asked, at Asian themed restaurants, for a menu or glass of water as I walk by people's tables--apparently Asian women walking through an Asian restaurant must all work there]

*Angry Asian Man -- Breaks down a report about immigrants and stereotypes--although the report seems hopeful at the end, I do wonder if the more things change, the more they don't just stay the same.

*Anti-Racist Parent -- Finally, because it's nice to bookend with Tami since she is so thoughtful and smart and just breaks it down in a way that has me nodding my head and saying yes, is this piece she did for ARP on anti-racist parenting as pro-active parenting.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

No comments: