Friday, January 30, 2009

Weekend reading

Friends have been sending me links to some articles/blogs/websites and I thought I would pass them along to all of you as some interesting weekend reading:

*The Women's Media Center -- "Changing the World One Blog at a Time"
--about how we can access the power of our new media saturated lives to effect social change in our lives and in our world.

*The Root -- "The New Black Manhood"
--The author describes watching a CNN episode in which a young African American boy is reduced to tears when his emotions overcome him when trying to express what Obama's presidency means to him. And reading her description of this scene I started to tear up to. I think I'm still pretty emotional about this topic (this and gay marriage will make me cry on a dime).

*The Atlantic -- "The End of White America"
--Doesn't the title say it all? It is, as you can guess, ruminations on how the election of Barack Obama as our first non-white president may change our perceptions of race in the U.S. Discuss amongst yourselves!

*The Daily Express -- "Interview with Will Smith"
--Be sure to check out the quote that appears after his photo in the middle of the article in which Smith says that with Obama's election, he believes that the U.S. is no longer a racist nation.

*Racialicious -- "Perception through the lens of Slumdog Millionaire"
--Some views on the film Slumdog Millionaire, from the perspective of an Indian American.

And finally, this weird Skittles commercial that I did catch a glimpse of the other night. Don't really have anything to say about it but, "HUH?!!!"



[Actually, I do have some thoughts but teaching is calling me, so feel free to comment below]

No comments: