Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy Birthday PoPo!

My grandmother turns 95 today. And I am struck by awe that she has experienced over nine decades on this planet. Born just after the first decade of the previous century, my grandmother has lived on two continents, in three countries, speaking an amalgam of three different languages/dialects. She raised nine children and has not only several grandchildren but a few great-grandchildren as well.

I think about what my grandmother's life must have been like, especially living as a young woman with several young children in Jamaica. I can't even fathom being in her position--not just because this was before the days of washing machines and dish washers (at least for my family living in Kingston in the 1940s) but because the choices available to her were limited to a degree that I've never felt myself.



Happy Birthday PoPo! To a woman of great strength and courage, who has done a remarkable job raising her family to be strong, independent individuals. Thank you.

5 comments:

CVT said...

Nothing really to say here - this post just made me think of my own grandmother (she passed at 94 - a couple years back). Strong women, those Chinese-immigrant grandmothers . . .

Cipher said...

Happy Birfday PoPo!!!

Cipher said...

does PoPo know her nickname doubles for the PO-LICE?

MEHEHEH

Jennifer said...

CVT: Thanks for the note. Chinese immigrant grandmothers are tough as steel--mine certainly is.

Which brings me to Cipher--thanks for the birthday greetings on behalf of my grandmother--and in case you were wondering how the nickname "PoPo" got stuck to the police, it's BECAUSE Chinese immigrant grandmothers are tough as steel and always try to keep you in line/kick your ass. They ARE the original "PoPos"!

Ryanaldo said...

That looks like a really great Cake.