Monday, November 5, 2007

The Amazing Race

I caught a glimpse of the premiere of Season 12: The Amazing Race. It's a CBS reality show about pairs of people racing around the world trying to be the first pair to cross the final finish line (I think there are about 10 stages of elimination to match the 12 competitors) and win a million dollars. The interesting thing about this season are the competitors. Having never watched an episode before, I don't know if this batch is more or less diverse than previous episodes, but I can tell you that what caught my eye was the scene of two middle-aged white women kissing on national television during prime time. They are Kate & Pat, one of a set of diverse pairs, which also include a goth couple, a father-daughter Asian American team from Spokane, and an African-American brother-sister team from New Orleans. For more on the contestants, you can see their profiles on CBS's official website:

The Amazing Race

I don't know if I'll actually end up watching the show (I only caught the first 20 minutes before my brother put on Spirited Away, a Miyazaki film that is absolutely gorgeous!) but I must admit that any show that features a pair of lesbian ministers in their 50s kissing is a show that I'm interested in keeping tabs on.

No comments: