Sunday, May 9, 2010

Have you hugged a Mom today?

Today is Mother's Day, which I've heard is the busiest day of the year for florists. I guess when you think of it, everyone has a mother. Some people have two or more mothers (since kinship networks can be so multi-faceted nowadays: lesbian mothers, stepmothers, aunts and grandmothers who mother us, and folks we're not even related to who serve as mother figures).

Unfortunately I'm 3 time zones away from my own Mom--but at Mixed Race America the idea of motherhood is really fluid and flexible. So I'm going to hug, virtually speaking, all the women who have mothered me -- from my own biological mother who gave birth to me, to the many women I've developed relationships with over the years who have nourished and nurtured me in emotional and psychological ways. Here's to the Mom's of the world!


(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUG!!!)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Happy Mother's Day!

[This virtual bouquet is also for you! And if you are a Mom, hug your kids because without your kids, whether the ones you've raised or the ones you consider your own, you wouldn't be a Mom]

No comments: