Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Racial satire: The Racial Draft

Since I really AM planning to write about racial satire later in the week, I thought I'd provide an example of racial satire from someone who has now retired from the limelight, Dave Chappelle. This is one of the most famous skits that he did from his now defunct show.



There are actually things about this skit that I do wonder about--like "Jews" being depicted as a "racial" category, and the slide between "Asian" and "Chinese" that happens. And there's once again an absence of indigenous people. But as an example of racial satire, I think this one is a pretty prime example (with some pretty funny bits).

3 comments:

Yoli said...

I am laughing so hard. Thank you for posting this skit, I had never seen it before. It is one of those things that make you feel uncomfortable and yet you laugh at the sametime so, it makes you think.

Jennifer said...

Yoli,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I'm glad the skit gave you a good laugh -- and your summing up of your experience watching it is how I feel about racial satire--it's funny but it makes me uncomfortable and also makes me really think (the good stuff that is--more on the bad stuff later).

Jason Clinkscales said...

Yeah, I went to a predominantly white college and when this skit came up, some folks got a little too into it. The reverse went for the handful of every other racial group. So I didn't watch the show (and this skit, in particular) until I came home to watch it with family.

It's still funny as hell, I can't lie. And Chappelle is just as, if not more captivating in person. But, I'll tell you, I'm not sure if anyone wants to 'claim' O.J.