Saturday, August 9, 2008

8/8/08 (woops, I missed it)

I had planned to write some type of post about the significance of yesterday--August 8, 2008, or 8/8/08 (which, for those of you who don't know, the number *8* is a very significant number in Chinese culture--a good luck number if you will. Yesterday there were a record number of weddings happening across the Chinese diaspora (and in China) to take advantage of all this good luck--and it's no coincidence that the Olympics, currently being held in China, began on 8/8/08 at 8:08 pm.


[Here are the Olympic mascots--cute huh?]

Out-of-town houseguests, Southern bbq, and gin and tonics have been keeping me from my laptop the last few days.

And truthfully, I'm uninspired right now. My old house guests have left (close friends from grad school--always fun to re-bond with folks who knew you when--especially when they knew you in your mid-20s) and one of my closest friends from my days as a Gaucho just arrived on a red-eye flight from the West Coast so I'm not sure how much blogging there will be in the next week or so.

Thus, Mixed Race America goes on a bit of a hiatus. Of course, perhaps I will become inspired by a host of things percolating in the world, for instance, perhaps it's time to concentrate on the Chinese diaspora and things that are Chinese, such as:

*The Summer Olympics (after all, they only come around every four years).

*Human rights abuse in China (after all, we should be aware of this in light of the attention that China is getting because of said Olympics)

*The deranged Chinese Canadian man who attacked, killed, and decapitated a fellow passenger aboard a Greyhound bus.

*Is Wayne Wang an indie auteur (Chan Is Missing, Smoke) or a wannabee mainstream Hollywood director (Maid in Manhattan, Last Holiday) or something else entirely?

No comments: