Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Music Plug: Pink Martini

Think back to a time when you were down and out. Was there a movie, novel, or perhaps a song that got you through the bad times? For me, it was Pink Martini. Very specifically, these songs got me through the long dark tunnel and into the light:

*"Sympathique"
*"Que Sera, Sera"
*"Brazil"
*"Hang On Little Tomato"

I am a late adopter to all things technology, so while it's not going to come as news to 99% of you blog readers, I was recently introduced to Pandora and am currently listening to the "Pink Martini" radio station, and I have to tell you, I am SOOOO digging it!

And thus, my plug.


Because really, if you have ever had the pleasure of experiencing Pink Martini LIVE (which I have twice!) then you know, they are MIXED in many, many senses of the word. And their presence on stage is reminiscent of the best of a mixed race America--because they sing songs in a variety of languages, styles, instrumentations, and they just make you want to dance! (ok, maybe that's just me, but seriously, when I'm in my car driving and "Hey Eugene" comes on, I can't help but tap my toes and sing along).

This is a description from their official website of the beginnings of their group:

The Portland, Oregon-based ‘little orchestra’ was founded in 1994 by [Thomas] Lauderdale, a Harvard graduate and classically trained pianist, to play political fundraisers for progressive causes such as civil rights, the environment, affordable housing and public broadcasting. In the years following Pink Martini grew from four musicians to its current twelve, and has gone on to perform its multilingual repertoire on concert stages and with symphony orchestras throughout Europe, Asia, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Canada and the United States.

If you go to Pandora (and type in Pink Martini of course) and like what you hear, then consider supporting the band by buying one of their albums. Better yet, if you are lucky enough to find that they are playing in a concert hall near you, go see them live. They're really worth it. And it just might help you get through the funk of the dark days if you find yourself under a cloud.

[Just for the record, I know that I have urged people to spend their money or donate their money to certain causes, but I'm not trying to hawk anything on this site--and certainly you could find ways to obtain this music without supporting these artists. But for local bands like this one, I really do believe, personally, in supporting artists. Like writers--I try to actually buy books rather than use the library, in part because with contemporary writers I like, I want to send a small message in our consumer driven world that I appreciate their art/work. I wish there was another way to get this message across...I suppose just showing my appreciation on this blog is one format. Anyway, all I want to say is that I'm not getting a kick back from Pink Martini, wouldn't take one if i did (notice there are no ads on this blog), but do want to share a band I really love with all of you this Tuesday afternoon]

No comments: