Sunday, June 29, 2008

A totally partisan film short

A friend of mine sent this to me--some of you may have already seen it since it has gone "viral"--but apparently the filmmaker is an alum of Southern U. so I feel compelled to give it a plug here--and because I am a dyed-in-the-wool-true-blue-Democrat. Just be forewarned: there is nothing nuanced about this film short--it's totally partisan:

I'm Voting Republican:


I'm surprised that the filmmakers didn't take up the issue of immigration, since of all issues "protecting our borders" strikes me as being a very red Republican platform as in anti-immigration/lets-seal-off-the-borders/ship 'em home kind of mentality. And yes, I'm being hyperbolic, and yes, I'm talking to YOU Lou Dobbs! Then there's always the tried and true bugbear of terrorism...maybe they'll make a sequel--it would also allow them to get more representation of Middle-Eastern/Arab Americans and Latino/Mexican Americans in the frame--because there's nothing that spells self-loathing like Republican. You only have to look at Michelle Malkin and her support of racial profiling and the incarceration of Japanese Americans during WWII to see that being Asian American, for her, only goes so far in terms of cross-ethnic identification.

[For more on the film, go to the website "I'm Voting Republican."]

No comments: